Tuesday, February 14, 2023

GURPS Character Assistant: Dungeon Fantasy Setup

Some people like GURPS Character Sheet (GCS) for character generation, but my tool of choice is the excellent GURPS Character Assistant (GCA, link in sidebar). The unique thing about GCA is you must set up your library before creating a character (in GCS, you do not). Why do this? It allows you to better focus the application selections on what you want to see.

Want a base Dungeon Fantasy + Companion 3 setup? Just add these books to a library and save them:

You will have no 0.45 automatics and laster pistols cluttering your weapon lists, and every choice will be Dungeon Fantasy classes, powers, magic, equipment, advantages, and other items in the game.

But Steve Jackson Games also supports playing "Dungeon Fantasy within GURPS" - that is, instead of needing Dungeon Fantasy, you use the GURPS Basic Set Characters book and a bunch of supplements (PDFs on the Warehouse 23 site) as the "base game" for playing.

Why do this? Let's say you wanted to add a few GURPS expansion books to your Dungeon Fantasy game, like Low Tech or Horror. With this setup, you could have a lot of interesting books in your library and still have all of the focused Dungeon Fantasy feeling and frameworks. There are a few tricks to doing this:

The first book must be the GURPS Basic Set 4th Edition Characters book. Follow this with all the expansion books you want. Then the Dungeon Fantasy books. I will probably add "GURPS Powers" to my load and open up superpower-type abilities to my characters. There are two things you need to add at the end:

The first are three variants to remove TL 4+ gear, super science TL 4+ gear, and non-TL super science gear. These are highlighted, and one of them is poorly labeled.

If you want to use GURPS Basic Set armor (more like Dungeon Fantasy), do not use GURPS Low-Tech 4e; use the file "GURPS Low-Tech 4e - Everything NOT Armor & Protection" instead.

The final (not shown) is the world book GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary Traits. This last file aligns the traits of this library to the Dungeon Fantasy list. Why didn't I include it? I want things like "enemies" and "wings" in my game, and I do not wish the script to remove those traits. Consequently, I will have some "tech traits" on the list, but I can ignore those quickly enough.

Do I like the full GURPS setup or the Dungeon Fantasy setup?

Honestly, I love the clean Dungeon Fantasy setup, but I miss the freedom to pick and choose my books. GCS could do this better, and I can see how managing libraries feels like an unnecessary hassle. I need to check that program out and see. I can always edit in the few things I want as user edits in any case.

Both are excellent programs and highly recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment