Sunday, August 11, 2024

Everything is Playing

Me? I like playing GURPS. Even character creation is a hobby in itself. There is an excellent solo-play theory book, The Solo Game Master's Guide, that lays out a few key principles of solo play. One of them is, "Everything is playing."

The theory is this: everything you do when engaging with a game is playing. You don't need to be "in the game" and running combat turns on a hex grid to be playing GURPS. Everything you do around playing GURPS is playing GURPS.

When I use the GURPS Character Sheet to create characters, build templates, optimize a build, design powers, or express character ideas, I'm not just playing, I'm deeply engaged with my game and my hobby. It's a journey of fun and discovery.

If I am reading a sourcebook, dreaming about a campaign or adventure? I am playing.

If I pick up a setting guide, how do I turn it into a GURPS conversion? I am playing.

If I am doing a conversion? Well, I am playing.

Should I write blog posts discussing my thoughts on the game and my experiences? I am playing! Welcome to my game! I'm glad to have you along.

This theory aims to eliminate "play bias guilt," where if you can't sit at a hex grid and physically play the game in "turn-by-turn play," then you are NOT playing. What happens after that? You feel guilty, never have enough time to play, and quit.

By making every thought and action about a game "playing," the engagement level you need to feel involved in the game is very low. Thus, you can be constantly playing - even if you are out doing chores and just reading a PDF on your phone and dreaming about your campaign.

The goal is to keep playing and engaged.

GURPS is a perfect game for this mindset since I can sit here and design characters for hours and have fun. Are you having fun? Well, are you playing?

Why yes, I am.

Will I use these characters in a solo game someday? I probably will. In the meantime, let me dream and play a little more until I reach that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment