Monday, August 10, 2026

Still Reaching for the Old Books (And Why That’s Okay)

I’ve had the revised Basic Set on the PDF shelf for a while now, and I still keep reaching for my classic 4th Edition softcovers. The travel ones. The ones that have been to every table with me for the last twenty years.

I love the clearer language. I love the rules updates. Objectively, the new book is better. But after two decades of muscle memory, the revised edition still feels a little strange in my hands. I’m also stubbornly attached to those old covers; the multi-genre inspiration jigsaw that always made me want to run everything at once.

I keep telling myself I just need more table time with it. Change is hard, even when the new thing is an improvement.

For brand-new players? Highest recommendation. Start with the revised book. No question.

For the rest of us jaded veterans who began with GURPS 1.0 (and still get a little misty about 3rd Edition), we hold onto strange things. We’re the Strange Barbies of the GURPS world; hair chopped short, marker tattoos, one shoe missing, thoroughly played with, and still the ones the kids actually want at the table. Beat up, been down the road, seen it all… and stubbornly loyal to what we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment