Tuesday, August 4, 2026

GURPS, Shadowdark, and Breaking the Ice

I’ve been deep in Shadowdark lately. The real-time torch, the clean classes, the way a session can go from zero to “the light is dying, and something is moving in the dark” in under ten minutes. It’s hard to argue with. Sitting down to write about GURPS after that can feel like arguing with a stone wall. Why do I need so much game?

Shadowdark has a lot going for it. Speed of play. Accessibility for new players. Focused dungeon pressure. The way it makes exploration feel dangerous again. I can put the book on the table, hand out character sheets, and we are all playing something cool in ten to fifteen minutes, even with character creation, even with players completely new to the game. No session zero. No software. Players don’t even need a book. We just play.

That speed is real, and it is valuable. It is also a deliberate design choice. Shadowdark is optimized for the pure crawl: the tight focus on the next room, the next threat, the next torch. What it deliberately sets aside is the long arc: characters who carry history, social weight, political debts, and personal consequences across months of play. The kind of campaign where the dungeon is only one part of a larger world that keeps pressing on the characters even after they climb back into the light.

If I’m running a deep story and long-game campaign, GURPS is my choice. It does require players who buy into the model. That takes time: teaching new players the difference, showing them the value that advantages and disadvantages bring to the story and to their characters’ choices, and how character design itself shapes the campaign. It is not instant.

If I want clean, fast, instant dungeon crawling with new or casual players, Shadowdark is the clear choice. It delivers the best pick-up-and-play experience I know. I’m almost guaranteed a solid session, and people usually want to come back for more.

GURPS works when we want something more. When the table wants a deeper, more engaging story arc, characters who feel like they could walk out of a long, character-driven fantasy novel, GURPS delivers something few other games can match. It can also do the high-fantasy, almost superheroic style of play, so the toolbox is larger than many people realize. But for me, that character depth and deep historical gaming is why I keep coming back.

Shadowdark is my icebreaker game. If this is what people enjoy and expect, and they already know a little 5E so the rules feel familiar, then that is where we stay. GURPS is here for the deeper experiences. In theory, GURPS can do everything Shadowdark does, but it brings far more to the table and is more than you need for those “getting to know people” games. When a group starts wanting something more- deeper storylines, richer interactions between characters and the world, and the historical punch GURPS does so well- we already have the best tool waiting and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment