GURPS has a core ethos I can use to paint over a high-magic, 5.5E version of the Forgotten Realms and bring the setting back to its roots. It is the difference between a picture made from a prompt and a real painter layering watercolors, with judgment that comes from years of doing the work.
Seeing the Realms as a low-fantasy place again feels like coming home. The setting is no longer about gods, gates, and planes, and no superhero plot is waiting to flatten a town so the multiverse can have another CGI battle. I do not want that scaffolding in the game. It makes “here” smaller.
The map I create with GURPS is the map I want to explore.
D&D 4E made planar cosmology the main setting of D&D. Earlier editions laid the groundwork; 4E institutionalized the idea that around level 10 you become a planar adventurer. Campaign worlds started to feel like MMO starting zones. That is what made Pathfinder 1e appeal to me over that game: it stayed on one world and treated the planes as places that supported it, not a main thoroughfare through the middle of the campaign.
Anytime the multiverse comes up, it kills that precious starting town at the heart of a fantasy game. The NPCs become nobodies. That dwarven blacksmith with the daughter with big dreams fades away. The tavernkeep with the scar and the eyepatch becomes a memory. The special place you defended against gnolls and the first Orc armored division is nothing next to the City of Brass or Sigil. Here is another portal to Ravenloft; want to go on the ride? I have already been on that ride, and they changed the parts I liked.
Unlike 5.5E Forgotten Realms, in GURPS I cannot assume the Harpers or anyone else have automatic access to “level 20” spells and classes. At some point, that high-level framework sitting over the map ruins the storytelling, because I always have to factor it in. In GURPS, the numbers reset. Powerful NPCs and big spells can still exist, but they are under control, and they don't blow out lower-point characters just by being on the page. These are effects out of GURPS Magic. If I say a spell is not in the world, it is not in the world, and that does not feel like a house-ruled variant of the official boxed set.
In GURPS, Elminster still has to approach a ruin with care. Even as a thousand-point character, he can be surprised, bled, and made to respect a threat. A 25-point goblin’s lucky arrow is not a joke he can ignore. He will happily take a squad of a town’s militia - mere 50-point guardsmen - with him into the dark.
The fast-food version of modern campaign settings, stacked with power creep and expansion content people expect to have on the table, is why I do not want to touch those books as written. With GURPS, I have control over the world I present.
In 5.5E I feel I have to take the whole pile and make something out of it. Tales of the Valiant is an impressive toy chest - thousands of monsters and spells - and it is still too much menu for me to wrestle with.
When you lift the massive rules framework off a setting and look at the place again, what do you like? Do the ties to family, clan, and kingdom come back into focus? Does the setting even support those ideas, or does it assume a cosmopolitan freeway running through the front yard?
With GURPS, the focus narrows; I care about one hero, their build and loadout, and I can immerse myself in a world I loved a long time ago and live in that moment again.
No comments:
Post a Comment